Independence Village of Villa Maria
Villa Maria, Grand Rapids, MI 888-778-4552
Celebrate the individual
Retirement is a time to enjoy life and spend time doing the things you truly take pleasure in. That’s why Villa Maria Retirement Community provides accommodations and services to make your life easier, so you can focus on the activities you love—or pursue new interests! Combined with affordable residential housing and supportive services, active lifestyles are what make Villa Maria Grand Rapids’ retirement community of choice.
It’s like living on a gracious estate
Villa Maria was established in 1904 by the Contemplative Sisters of the Good Shepherd. Today, it’s located on six acres on Grand Rapids’ northwest side and in a historical landmark.
- Villa Maria’s historical building is nestled among the trees and reflects old-world charm through its historical architecture. It’s the centerpiece of our campus, which today features six nicely spaced main buildings joined by convenient, climate-controlled passageways.
- Enclosed courtyards are always open to residents and their guests. Come spring, these well-manicured respites blaze with beautiful flowering trees and perennials.
- Our light-filled sunroom is an inviting place to relax in the sun’s warmth. High ceilings and large windows give way to truly beautiful landscaping outdoors.
- Three dining rooms provide delicious food in inspirational, old-world atmospheres. For example, the main dining hall was built in 1904 as a chapel; today it envelops diners in dramatic, original stained glass windows. In addition to a complimentary continental breakfast, residents may choose to prepare their own meals in their apartments or have their meals prepared by our culinary staff. Residents select what they’d like from rotating menus, eat in any of the dining rooms and sit with whomever they choose. Family members are always welcome to dine with our residents.
- Our beautiful worship center is a point of reflection and worship. We offer convenient weekly non-denominational services and Mass in the chapel, which is always available for private prayer and meditation.
- Convenient transportation is available for shopping excursions, group events, medical and personal appointments. Of course, residents may also use their personal vehicle or public transportation.
Spacious, inviting apartments are also ideal for entertaining, just like home. What could be better?
It’s carefree living at its best
Residents can choose from spacious studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments. Then, they can immerse themselves in a lifestyle that’s free of daily chores and responsibilities. Independence Village of Grand Rapids offers easy-living benefits* such as:
- Gracious main dining hall and dining rooms
- Activity rooms, lounges and coffee shop
- Elevators and barrier-free access
- Convenience store and gift shop
- Worship center
- Choice of meal plans
- Full activity schedule
- Hair salon
- On-site laundry
- Monitoring system
- Carports available
Because the decision to select a retirement community is such an important one, we encourage you to visit our facilities and staff and learn more about our community, Lifestyle Choices and amenities and how we can meet your specific needs. Please call us at 616.459.9701 or toll-free at 888.778.4552.
* Certain conditions apply.
Activities and Events
An active and vibrant community, Villa Maria offers a full calendar of social, educational, health, fitness, spiritual and cultural events. Because activities are based on residents’ specific hobbies and interests, our calendar of events is diverse and continually growing. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Dining out
- Arts and crafts classes
- Bingo, billiards, cards, pinochle and many other games
- Exercise, Tai Chi, Wii tournaments and other classes in our fitness center
- Educational seminars
- Trips to the theater, musical performances, local festivals and more